The Coasting Trade in Canada
Coasting Trade refers to any commercial marine activity within Canadian waters. Above the continental shelf of Canada, these activities must be related to the transport, exploration or exploitation of the minerals and non-living natural resources of the continental shelf.
The Coasting Trade Act supports Canadian marine interests by reserving the coasting trade of Canada to Canadian registered duty paid vessels, with limited exemptions. The legislation provides a process to temporarily import a foreign or non-duty paid vessel under a coasting trade licence when a suitable Canadian-registered duty paid vessel is not available. Coasting trade licences are issued by the Minister of Public Safety to Canadian residents who have applied for permission to bring a foreign flagged vessel into Canadian waters to perform a service or activity over a specified period of time.
A coasting trade licence is issued when there are no suitable Canadian vessels available to perform the service or activity. While priority is given to these vessels, there are provisions for the temporary entry of foreign or non-duty paid vessels. This is provided there are no Canadian-registered vessels available or capable to perform the required scope of work.
Our Coasting Trade Services cover your project from start to finish and include:
- Application Preparation (Canada Border Services Agency, Canadian Transportation Agency, all Marine Agency Services, etc.)
- Preparation and presentation of import documentation and researching legislation & regulations applicable to the import process including the Customs Act, Customs Tariff Act, Excise Tax Act, Coasting Trade Act, and regulations of any other government departments
- Payment of any applicable duty and tax
- Immigration Consulting for considerations including preparation and submissions to Service Canada of validations and work visas for foreign crew
- Obtaining inspection and compliance certificates
- Completion of contract services including exportation of vessel
- Ships Agency Services to support operations
Custom Brokerage & Consulting
Looking for other customs services? Our fully licensed Customs Brokers, Customs Consulting, and Trade Compliance Specialists can help you with your import and export needs.
We’re Here to Help
We offer a full line of international trade and logistics services to meet all of your business needs. If you’re not sure what you’re looking for and need assistance with your importing and exporting activities, give us a call at:
Or send us a message – We’ll get your request where it needs to go!